The Černá Růže building dates back to the 1840s and features an interesting romantic façade designed by Jan David Frenzl.
Interior adjustments are from around 1880 by Josef Fanta.
A hall with commercial premises forming a passage from Příkopy to Panská Street was built in 1932 according to a project by renowned functionalist architect Oldřich Tyl. Especially interesting is the interior of the Black Rose passage with glass concrete vault and galleries.
The building is a protected cultural monument registered in the state list of immovable monuments as an important proof of modern architecture in interwar period.
In 1996, the building reconstruction began to remove structurally and operationally unsatisfactory condition. Goals of reconstructions were to restore all the elements of the building, to increase the capacity of all the wiring and to modernize the facilities to accommodate not only current standards and regulations, but to continue for decades and at the same keep its site's exclusivity in the center of the capital.
The Černá Růže Passage was transformed into a genuine shopping center, which began serving fully visitors in November 1998. Branded shops, cafés and restaurants are on all floors. The Černá Růže Shopping Center thus became a sought-after center of trade and services, both for residents of Prague and for its domestic and foreign visitors and the seat of renowned companies.